Hennock was inspired by my eldest daughter whilst sat on the platform of Staverton Station in Devon.
In an effort to get away from Ready to Run I chose 3mm scale to model this layout having previously exhibited a large Tri-ang TT layout. I hope the ramblings that all to frequently appear will be of use to you no matter what scale!
The track diagram shows a simple passing station with a couple of sidings. All track is PECO Hom-12mm gauge with turnouts operated by the wire in tube method. Control is provided by Gaugemaster HH with feedback.
Locos are mostly whitemetal kits running on etched chassis powered by Mashima 9/16 motors with Branchlines 40:1 gearboxes. Wheels are Markits with the latest 3mm Society products being introduced.
Coaches consist of Society 'B' Sets and coaches from etches by Worsley Works, Brynkits and 3SMR. A vast range of wagons are from the 3mm Society list with Finney and Smith providing the China Clay , Gunpowder and a few etched kits.
Hennock has appeared in Railway Modeller and Model Rail.
Please visit the links to the left - 3mm is the Premier Scale for modellers-

Hennock

Hennock
General view of Layout.The facia has since been varnished.

The Degree Inn

The Degree Inn
In recognition of my eldest Daughter's achievement. She is also the one who gave me the push to build the layout.

14XX and Autocoach

14XX and Autocoach
Shows Station building-based on Staverton.

Hennock Track Plan

Hennock Track Plan

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Finishing Touch

 When all this modelling is done, the item has to be painted. There are various ways this can be done. Depending on the size and number of models to be painted dictates the method I use. First of all the model must be fully cleaned and any bumps or lumps removed. I cheat a little by using a spray can of primer/undercoat, the one shown is by Simoniz which is my preference.One of the most useful things in my kit is a turntable. This was made for me by Sedco in Sheffield many years ago and I would not be without it.
Again, depending on the size of model to be painted,dictates which spray gun I use. For small, numerous items I use my old DeVilbiss Sprite Airbrush. This has a top feed and has given many years of trusty sevice, I help by keeping it spotless, a little time spent after spraying saves hours trying to clean dried paint from inside it. Larger items are tackled with a DeVilbiss MP gravity feed  gun. This only uses marginally more air than the Airbrush but has a higher capacity resevoir and I prefer the finish it gives. Both spray guns are powered from my old Compressor which is probably older than me but just keeps on going. It has a good sized reciever to store air and also I have a regulator/filter connected to the airline to ensure no water or oil get through to the spraygun, probably overkill but ruining the paintwork on an 'O' gauge engine is prevented.
Now something to hold the model in place whilst painting. I have numerous pieces of wood of various shapes and sizes to attach the item to. Usually I temporarily attach them with double sided tae to hold them in position. A word of warning, don't use White Tack, this seems to leach through plastic and at worse will be seen as a stain on the finished articl and its a devil to clean off.
Final detailing is by paintbrush and well mixed paint, before transfers are attached and a final coat of varnish applied.

No comments: